OUR CHURCH HISTORY
Dalworth Park Church of Christ (formerly Sherman Street Church of Christ) is an independent Christian congregation with beliefs and practices that are described in the New Testament. Dalworth Park Church of Christ believes that Jesus established only one church on the day of Pentecost, A.D. 33., and follows the bible for their instructions, teachings and practices.
EARLY DALWORTH COMMUNITY
In the 1930s, the Dalworth Community in Grand Prairie, Texas consisted of only about four blocks from SW 17th Street to SW 21st Street and along El Paso Street.
In the 1940s, the Dalworth Community experienced growth in the community, due to the value of land, as families moved from Arlington, Texas. With as little as “$10 down” and “$10 a month”, per Creola Oliver, families bought lots for either “$75 and corner lots sold for $125”, according to Iola Reed Smith.
EARLY CHURCH HISTORY
With the growth in the Dalworth Community, the Sherman Street Church of Christ saw an opportunity to reach people and to teach God’s word. At some unknown date, the Sherman Street Church of Christ began with Brother Livingston and two (2) or three (3) families. A small frame house was donated by sister congregations to accommodate 40 people.
Brother Isaac Lang (deceased) became a member in 1954 and remembered that Brother Nixon was the minister at that time. Sister Lillie Lang noted that the church facility was a “small wooden-frame building” without a “baptismal pool” and that she had to travel “over to Dalworth Gardens Church of Christ for her baptism” in 1961. Sister Lang also witnessed the changing of the guard of the other ministers which are noted below under the Ministers section.
In the early 1960s, the Sherman Street Church of Christ membership experienced a growth. In 1963, with only two (2) classrooms, it was time to go up, down or out.
By early 1963 a new brick building was added and would accommodate one hundred and fifty (150) people. It would include a pulpit, baptismal pool, classrooms, office, and kitchen. Membership climbed from twenty-two (22) to ninety-six (96) and with Sunday morning visitors, the numbers would climb to one hundred and thirty (130) people.
Sherman Street Church of Christ continued to grow. On January 26, 2003, ground was broken for an addition of a new auditorium to accommodate three hundred and twenty (320) people. In 2004, Sherman Street Church of Christ was renamed Dalworth Park Church of Christ.
Brother Samuel Jones — 1996 – current. Senior Minister.
Brother L.C. Harris (deceased) — 1970 - 1996.
Brother Richard Mathis — 1964 - 1970.
Brother Rufus Harris — 1962 - 1963. Temporarily filled in for Brother Upshaw.
Brother Upshaw — 1962
Brother Isabella — 1961 - 1962. Temporarily filled in for Brother Nixon.
Brother Nixon — 1954
Brother Livingston — Unknown
Historians and Documented “Memories”
Herman Broadus – Memories
Isaac (deceased) and Lillie Lang – Memories
Creola Oliver – Memories
Billy J. Powell – Memories
Iola Reed Smith – Memories
Vernon Jackson – Historian
Randall Jones – Historian
Helen Powell – Historian
The following churches financially supported our ministry:
• Burbank Gardens Church of Christ, Grand Prairie, TX.
• Dalworth Church of Christ, Grand Prairie, TX.
• Freetown Road Church of Christ, Grand Prairie, TX.
• Tarrant Road Church of Christ, Grand Prairie, TX.
Living Life Abundantly: John 10:10
Let us discover and enjoy the abundant life promised
to those who know and walk in the Savior.